In 2013, Indiana INTERNnet (IIN) began partnering with the Indiana Commission for Higher Education (CHE) to facilitate its Employment Aid Readiness Network (EARN) Indiana program. EARN Indiana reimburses employers with an approved internship up to 50 percent of each eligible intern’s wage.
EARN Indiana doesn’t just benefit employers. The program provides eligible students with a wide variety of positions offering competitive pay and valuable experience. These internships can be used to explore career interests, develop transferable skills, apply academic coursework to the professional world, examine career interests and even earn college credit.
“[EARN Indiana] opens up so many positions that will be able to pay you competitively all while gaining tremendous needed experience,” said Johnny Slivka, HR Marketing Intern for Milliner & Associates and EARN Indiana-eligible student.
In order to be eligible for an EARN Indiana internship, a student must:
- Be an Indiana resident
- Not have a bachelor’s degree prior to the term a student plans to work
- Be enrolled full time at an eligible Indiana college or university and have an Expected Family Contribution (as determined by the FAFSA from the current academic year) less than or equal to $24,428
- Be enrolled part time at an eligible Indiana college or university and be an independent student with an Expected Family Contribution (as determined by the FAFSA from the current academic year) less than or equal to $1,500
Are you still not sure if you fit these guidelines? Apply today to double-check! More than 260,000 Hoosier students are eligible, so it doesn’t hurt to make sure. The approval process takes minutes, and you will know almost immediately if you are EARN Indiana-eligible.
“I think the whole [approval] process took less than five minutes for me, and has been helpful way beyond the five it took for me to be deemed ‘EARN Indiana-eligible,'” said Slivka.
Filling out an EARN Indiana eligibility form is extremely easy once you file your FAFSA. Just follow the steps below, or click here for more information.
1. Create an IndianaINTERN.net account
2. Click the EARN Indiana banner at the top of your student workspace
3. Fill out the short EARN Indiana application
That’s it! You will find out your EARN Indiana eligibility status almost immediately. Once you find out that you’re EARN Indiana-eligible, search Indiana INTERNnet for internship postings to find a position that is the best fit for you. If you aren’t eligible, that’s OK! You can still use Indiana INTERNnet to find your perfect internship.
So what are you waiting for? Go to your workspace and get started today!